Spartans Home

Patrol Ops Customization

KalXen~SPARTA~

I'm messing around with Arma 2 mission editing again. Feeling rusty, and damn Arma code is @)(sloppy@#$(backwards@#)$(WTF@)#$.

I enjoyed the Patrol Ops 2 framework that EightySix put together at OCB. Whats cool about how he set up the Multiplayer Scripting Framework is the ease by which you can add in new mission task types.. capture, destroy, etc.

So I just uploaded a new map "Patrol Ops 2.04KX" which has an additional Task type of "Search & Capture". It is more difficult than the default capture as you must obtain intel on the whereabouts of a unit to capture and bring back to base without accidentally killing him. The map is active on our ACE server right now, and is hard coded to only provide that mission type if this map is played (needs to be tested to be sure it works after which I will enable the rest of options).

Will add more ideas as they come up.

I've got a short list of tweaks, mainly to the ammobox. I'm trying to stick to the theme of the factions. You'll have to let me know if that's possible or not.

• Marksmen - Need to have access to at least the Mk 12 SPR right off the get-go. They can't fulfill their role if they don't have the weaponry to do so.
  • SF Automatic Rifleman - Has no access to MG's, making him just another rifleman. Should have the M249 and M60E4 by default, I would think.
  • AT soldiers - Should probably have access to the Dragon at the start.
  • Vehicles - There should be at least one or two M1151 Up-Armored Humvees at base. The military doesn't use unarmored Humvees anymore, solely because they're deathtraps if you get caught in an ambush
  • Misc. - Apache really isn't Marine air, and Cobras aren't Army air. May want to look at changing that. Also, civilian module doesn't seem to be working right. I don't know if there's anything you can do to fix that, however.

If I think of anything else, I'll either create a new post, or edit this one, depending on what it is.

Edit: Forgot standard AR troops should have access to the M27 IAR.

Edited by Jeff

I'm much more attached to the current system, actually. I'm not all that fond of everyone having access to everything, as it seems everyone ends up with a sniper rifle, parked on a hill, with an ammobox next to them. It's rather boring, and limits the amount of kit coordination you see.

I enjoy the extra challenges this brings to the table. You actually have to protect certain people, because they have the assets you need to finish the mission. There's no more of "Oh look, a tank!" and 6 people pulls out SMAW's/MAAW's to deal with it. Instead, you see more people working together to cover the AT guy who's pushing up to blow the hostile armor, while relying on his teammates to keep hostile infantry suppressed. Town's aren't almost completely cleared of hostiles from afar before one final clear is made. It makes for a much more dynamic combat environment, and its more realistic as well. I've seen some teamwork that reminds me of TacDom's just in regular play, as a result. It's quite refreshing.

I'd much rather leave the "bring anything you want" mentality to Dom. Use Patrol Ops for a more team-centric experience, and Dom for a more relaxed, we're-here-to-mess-around experience.

well said jeff i like that hole use your group to face the enemy not one man army seen to many cases where the AT guy cant even shoot one tank caz everyone including himself is carrying AT gets a little annoying. :) I like how we have to use lots of teamwork for these missions it takes a lot of talent for this and coms ;) I played today it was great the chance i got lol wasnt much but amazing time i had great job on it KalXen nice job!!!!!

Not to mention the amount of coding required to gut out their ammobox customization per class/rank, I too enjoy the weapons focus by class. I have had to use some weapons I'm not really used to, and its changed my gameplay from the traditional DMR on a ridge as Jeff states.

I'll take a look at this and see what I can do/fix. You missed the bug where the intel would appear immediately for the next mission.

I'm much more attached to the current system, actually. I'm not all that fond of everyone having access to everything, as it seems everyone ends up with a sniper rifle, parked on a hill, with an ammobox next to them. It's rather boring, and limits the amount of kit coordination you see.

I enjoy the extra challenges this brings to the table. You actually have to protect certain people, because they have the assets you need to finish the mission. There's no more of "Oh look, a tank!" and 6 people pulls out SMAW's/MAAW's to deal with it. Instead, you see more people working together to cover the AT guy who's pushing up to blow the hostile armor, while relying on his teammates to keep hostile infantry suppressed. Town's aren't almost completely cleared of hostiles from afar before one final clear is made. It makes for a much more dynamic combat environment, and its more realistic as well. I've seen some teamwork that reminds me of TacDom's just in regular play, as a result. It's quite refreshing.

I'd much rather leave the "bring anything you want" mentality to Dom. Use Patrol Ops for a more team-centric experience, and Dom for a more relaxed, we're-here-to-mess-around experience.

I couldn't agree more with this

Changes made, map posted to ACE server as Patrol Ops 2.04 KX.

1. Done. Added in the Mk12mod1's as default. the M4SPR was there, but not until sergeant level.
  2. No Action. The class system splits soldiers vs MG. MG's get the heavy M249's, etc.. but soldiers do not. Per the class breakdowns in the mission.sqm, this appears correct. The first 2 teams have just either soldiers or MG. The 3'd group has an FR_AssaultR treated as a solider, and a FR_AR treated as an MG.
  3. Done. M47Launcher_EP1 Added w/ ammo
  4. Done. Regular Humvee's upgraded to HMMWV_Armored's. ACE isn't automatically loaded in the sqm, so using the M1114 Uparmored first.
  5. No Action. Not sure what to change there re: Cobra/Apache. Would we rather a different setup? Seems we really aren't focused on gunships lately anyhow.
  6. Done. Riflemen class had access to the M27_IAR at default. I moved it to any class can access to the basic weapon M27_IAR, but only Riflemen can access the ACOG, CCO, etc versions.
  7. Done. Made some tweaks to the mission set to help clean up the mission post-intel. (needs testing)
  8. Done. Added in a new map choice option #6, Debug Mission Test. This will forcefully choose only the new missions I am working on/testing. These missions are added to the other map rotations as well if they are stable enough.

No Action. Not sure what to change there re: Cobra/Apache. Would we rather a different setup? Seems we really aren't focused on gunships lately anyhow.

I think what Jeff means is that if you are playing as the US Army the have Army helos. If you are playing as Jarhea, I mean Marines, then have have Marine Aircraft.

Note on #6: The M27 is actually used as an LMG by the Marines, not a rifle. It's been issued along with 100rnd Beta C-Mags to automatic riflemen, to give them most of the punch of a SAW without all the weight. I'd rather see it in its actual slot, though it does behave a lot like a rifle, even in RL.

As for the intel bug...you were there last night, and I figured you didn't need another reminder about it!

Steel, we jarheads are proud of being jarheads, no matter what connotations your kind put on us.

Steel hit the nail on the head, Kal. The Apache is that one thing that doesn't really fit in, aside from the A-10 (which I'm not worried about. Its the only heavy CAS fixed-wing we've got.)

Also, Frenchie just told me the leveled list may not be working right. When he jumped to marksman yesterday as a major, he didn't see the M4SPR at all, or anything else for that matter. Not sure what all is going on there. We'll have to test it sometime, though I'm rather short on time until after Thanksgiving.

Steel, we jarheads are proud of being jarheads, no matter what connotations your kind put on us.

Jeff... I meant it with all the love a Grunt could give. I respect all the branches of the armed services from all countries. I may poke fun but I still consider you my brother.

BTW I have a cousin that is still in the Marines. He has been in service to his country for over 30years.

A few more customization's have been completed for Patrol Ops 2.04KX. Not fully tested, so as usual, insert disclaimer regarding your computer being melted to a pile of slag.

• Intel gathering will stop once you get within 50-100m of the target.
  • The Scud missions have 45 minutes now, instead of 15, to disarm. 15 was nearly impossible for the group to get to the location, much less engage/destroy.
  • New map rotation option: Sparta TAC Dom - This is forced story-line setup for the mission types, with an overall theme from mission to mission. Failure to complete a mission may lead to dire consequences.