Spartans Home

DPMS AR-15 for $900?

MH6~SPARTA~

Need some advice from those of you more versed in guns than I.

My brother is thinking about trading a dirt bike for some cash and a DPMS AR-15 to make up the remaining $900. I don't know much about it other than it has a foregrip and collapsible stock--I'll be getting pictures Sunday. Is $900 a decent price for such a weapon? Seems like the bone stock rifles go for like $750 but I could be wrong. I know some Colt ARs and even some Bushmasters can go for over a grand new, not sure about used prices.

Any help is appreciated, as I'd be footing the bill for it. My goal is to get a half-way decent sight and foregrip, depending on what it has already.

Thanks

$900 sounds about right new. Although, you may be able to find a good deal without accessories. I would say the one requirement is to find one with rails on the top instead of the carry handle sight. Most of the new ones do that, but if you're new you might not know.

Honestly, the brand names don't really matter all that much since they're all manufactured in the same few places, but if you want to know how much AR $900 will get you, just go to the local Wal Mart and see. They're selling DPMS, Colt 6920s, Bushmasters and Sigs in those ranges. The more successful brands that I've seen overall are the Colt 6920, Smith & Wesson M&P15, and the DPMS. It's also hard to go wrong with a used one, as they hold their value pretty well, but always inspect because you can get some real jackwagons who aren't trustworthy. And with all the panic buying, it's probably safer to get it at a gun store or at Walmart.

Here's mine that I got over a year ago at a gun show. I got completely raped in the ass paying $1,200 for it because I didn't know prices and stuff.

med_gallery_8_26_153994.jpg

For what it's worth, here's a quote by a gunsmith I just read...

JMHO but i have rebuilt and worked on a LOT of dpms rifles over the last 15 years or so. i can find a better option for not much more.

never had an issue with uppers and lowers but i have seen enough bolt and FCG failures to take them off my list. by the time i replace a bolt and FCG its no longer that good of a deal. i don't know if the new ownership improved them but it's just not worth it to me. <and i am the king of looking for cheap shit that works>

could you elaborate on what kind of failures?

broken bolts, cam pins, carriers around the cam pin. more trigger groups failures than i can count resulting in double/triple taps. multiple issues with loose gas keys from not being staked properly and a few that even resulted in damage to the key. had one last year that the A2 rear sight pin actually split the upper receiver around the hole. <still have not figured that one out no damage to the sight and it wasn't dropped>

i have also seen a LOT of them with improperly cut chambers on new rifles causing feed issues. pre buyout they generally fixed them but relatively new low round count guns simply shouldn't have those issues. Also the replaced parts were no better quality wise than the failed parts.

barrels and receivers have always been as good as anyone else.

these were always common reports, especially on guns with heavy use. as i said i don't know if the current guns since the buyout have improved or not.

$900 sounds about right new. Although, you may be able to find a good deal without accessories. I would say the one requirement is to find one with rails on the top instead of the carry handle sight. Most of the new ones do that, but if you're new you might not know.

Honestly, the brand names don't really matter all that much since they're all manufactured in the same few places, but if you want to know how much AR $900 will get you, just go to the local Wal Mart and see. They're selling DPMS, Colt 6920s, Bushmasters and Sigs in those ranges. The more successful brands that I've seen overall are the Colt 6920, Smith & Wesson M&P15, and the DPMS. It's also hard to go wrong with a used one, as they hold their value pretty well, but always inspect because you can get some real jackwagons who aren't trustworthy. And with all the panic buying, it's probably safer to get it at a gun store or at Walmart.

Here's mine that I got over a year ago at a gun show. I got completely raped in the ass paying $1,200 for it because I didn't know prices and stuff.

med_gallery_8_26_153994.jpg

I'm in the same Boat Bud i paid 1800$ for mine my Ass is still hurting lol..

post-50-040715300 1352699753_thumb.jpg

post-50-040220100 1352699817_thumb.jpg

post-50-090149600 1352699832_thumb.jpg

post-50-042609700 1352699845_thumb.jpg

post-50-026865600 1352699851_thumb.jpg

post-50-062746100 1352699864_thumb.jpg

Edited by GySgt~SPARTA~

If the offer still stands for the DPMS in trade, find out the exact model. Go online and search for how much new/used cost. Add in any accessories that have been added to the rifle, and get a good estimate for it before you agree.

Also, think about the transfer. Look at your local state laws to make sure everything is legal.

Well that solves that problem.

I picked up a Sig Sauer 516 (Not to be confused with the HK 416) the other day. $1,250 for a $1,650 weapon. $550 for an EOtech 517, $365 for 1,000rds .223, another $150 or so for magazines, and $650 for a safe. Which I have yet to be called that they've pulled it out of the warehouse...so I've got the rifle stashed a bit oddly.

Now to go to the range and shoot it.

Well that solves that problem.

I picked up a Sig Sauer 516 (Not to be confused with the HK 416) the other day. $1,250 for a $1,650 weapon. $550 for an EOtech 517, $365 for 1,000rds .223, another $150 or so for magazines, and $650 for a safe. Which I have yet to be called that they've pulled it out of the warehouse...so I've got the rifle stashed a bit oddly.

Now to go to the range and shoot it.

This post is no good without pictures.

Need some advice from those of you more versed in guns than I.

My brother is thinking about trading a dirt bike for some cash and a DPMS AR-15 to make up the remaining $900. I don't know much about it other than it has a foregrip and collapsible stock--I'll be getting pictures Sunday. Is $900 a decent price for such a weapon? Seems like the bone stock rifles go for like $750 but I could be wrong. I know some Colt ARs and even some Bushmasters can go for over a grand new, not sure about used prices.

Any help is appreciated, as I'd be footing the bill for it. My goal is to get a half-way decent sight and foregrip, depending on what it has already.

Thanks

DPMS is a good weapon but I much prefer my Windham Weapons AR. Bushmaster was bought out by Remington a few years back and all of the designers and gunsmiths that didn't want to remain after the merger left and formed Windham Weapons and just started making AR's again. So you get a Bushmaster quality weapon for under $900. I think total I spent 950 for my weapon, an extra mag, and a forward grip. Then I put an EOTECH holo on it since I get those sexy employee discounts.