Spartans Home

Natural Selection 2

EMT~SPARTA~

Hey everyone,

Natural Selection 2 is coming out tonight and I want to get a reading on how many people plan on playing this game. It unlocks in less than 4 hours. I hope to buy it tongiht and get some gaming in before bed time...

Looks like a solid game.

Never heard of it before, to be honest.

I saw an ad for it on Steam today, but didn't really look into it. What sort of game is it?

More than likely unlike any game you've played, unless you've played Natural Selection 1 or Savage: The Battle for Newerth (which is still my top favorite game of all time). I suppose Battlefield 2 could be included, but it is a very watered down and simplified version (as the commander does very little really).

Basically, you have two teams: aliens and marines. Each team has a commander. The commander is responsible for placing buildings, researching upgrades, and commanding his troops; a generic RTS game, in a sense.

The difference is, all of his "troops" are actually real players, playing the game as if it were an FPS, not an RTS. So if you're a marine, you get a rifle and a hatchet, and you must navigate through the dark, cold tunnels knowing full well that there may be enemy aliens in every shadow or crevice. If you are an alien, you climb the walls and hang from the ceiling, or skitter through the air ducts, as you hunt the Marines just out of sight. Or, once they've been researched, you can go with the direct approach: big fucking assault mechs with gatling guns vs. huge rhinoceros-looking brutes of aliens.

NS2 is definitely a game centered around teamwork. A commander is useless if his team disobeys or ignores his orders, and the soldiers are useless if the commander fails to provide them with reliable weapons and upgrades. It's a decent game, but may not be for everyone.

Played yesterday with MH6, had a lot of fun! The player base seems to be helpful and kind to new people. I tried the commander spot for the first time last night and lost, but every player was kind and said I did a good job. I highly recommend this game.