Spartans Home

Powered USB Hubs

AJsarge

My 3-screen setup failed last night. If you were around for the short bit where I complained about my screens flashing/resetting and the computer needing a reboot, this was the cause.

[The Story]

I run a Matrox TripleHead2Go with 3 22" widescreens. I love it, but not everything supports it, so I have to fudge bits and pieces and run games in windowed mode occasionally. Again, the main box for this died last night. I did a troubleshoot and had no idea what was going on. I went all the way to re-installing my GTX 570 drivers on a whim (which was probably needed) when I finally re-plugged the box into a USB port for a firmware update. That's when my computer told me that something was power surging my USB port before shutting it off.

Research, research, and I found a solution.

[The topic]

I need a powered USB hub. All I need is literally 1 port, just so the TH2GO is not sucking power from the computer. I've never used one, as I've got more than enough ports on my computer, so does anyone have a recommended brand/item before I jaunt off to a computer parts store and pick whatever strikes my fancy?