Spartans Home

The Cart goes BEHIND the Horse.

MedicSN6

I have noticed that a couple of guys new to EVE are buying bigger ships than their characters are able to fly. I really hate to see this. The reason I am telling you this is because, this is what I did and I got burned big time when my battleship was destroyed in .4 space. All because I got cocky thinking I was in a bad ass ship and could fly it but I couldnt. I put the cart before the horse.

I really cant express how important it is to train the sub-system skills to a level that surpasses the ship size you are flying. At best, you should be able to fly that ship at its maximum capabilities before moving on to the next size ship.

This means having tech II equipment on your frigate or destroyer before moving on to the cruiser/battle cruiser size ships. If you skill up and fly your ships this way, you will be pretty much unstoppable.

Just because you have a battle ship doesnt mean you can do something with it.

A person flying a basic frigate with tech II equipment and the sub-system skills to support it (engineering, mechanic, navigation, and electronics) will kick the shit out of someone flying a battleship who has only trained to fly the battleship and arm it with large weapons and large shield or armor repairers.

So this is a friendly warning that, in Eve, bigger IS NOT better until you have the sub-system skills to back your ship up.

(From experience I will tell you that battle cruisers are very flexible. They have a good balance of speed and armament as well as the capability to be a mining or a smuggling ship.)

But the main point of this, is to fly what you can at the bare minimum and train to be the best at that level, and then and only then move up to the next ship.

Also EVEMon can be dangerous when it comes to skilling up. EVEMon does not consider the sub-system skills that you need to properly fly it. As an analogy, take for instance some guy on the street wins a billion dollar lottery and wants an F18 fighter. So he buys one and has the suit and helmet and a pair of aviator sunglasses. He climbs into the cockpit, buckles the harness and then thinks to himself "Well damn, whats next?"

Its the same in EVE. EVEMon will put you in the cockpit but knowing how to fly it is totally different.

Consider this information as experience from another EVE player. Take it for what it is, fact.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~