Spartans Home

ENDEAVOUR

EBE

I just can't understand how a country like Russia is still able to send people to space yet the USA can't.

They must have some super backers.....

Russians are now taking tourists....

http://o.canada.com/2012/10/11/british-singer-sarah-brightman-to-be-russias-next-space-tourist-will-be-first-space-tourist-since-cirque-du-soleil-founder-guy-laliberte-donned-a-red-clowns-nose-on-his-2009-trip/

If you can't remember S. Brightman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Tkx6BgRFE

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/10/endeavour-arrival-delay-again-5-am.html

en1.png

en2e.png

Well its a kind of weard thing. unfortunately the political enviorment at this time has Debocked the space program as of right now. After the space shuttle program has ended the Space plane was suppost to have taken its place. But that has been cutt> buy the current Presidential powers that be.

Russia is still useing its old soyuz rocket that they have had for years.

Untill the enviroment changes its frozen untill then or after the election.

I just can't understand how a country like Russia is still able to send people to space yet the USA can't.

They must have some super backers.....

We can still send people to space, we just chose not to. Apparently, we have more important things to spend our tax money on, such as two dozen more war planes at $2B each.

The upside is that there are at least a few private companies willing to take over the grunt work of ferrying people/materials to and from LEO (low Earth orbit) such as SpaceX, which has now successfully docked with the ISS using their Dragon capsule. This leaves NASA with the task of advancing interplanetary travel and research. So far, they are doing an excellent job--just look at the new Mars missions.

Apparently our Armed Forces and Congress are not in sync w/ priorities. Army came back and stated that we have too many tanks covered in dust, don't need any more, etc. Congress disagreed, stating that if they stopped producing tanks that it would affect some 6000 jobs in all these little shops that produce parts, etc.. So we spend on military, in the name of freedom but in guise of capitalism. Our funding for space keeps getting cut or downsized in favor of not touching military budgets.

Perhaps you convince Congress to see NASA as a capitalism opportunity instead of a cost center for R&D, and maybe it could go somewhere. I think this is where Russia's space tourism concept could breach it, but I'm sure there are so many insurance related risks that nobody would try.

Well its a kind of weard thing. unfortunately the political enviorment at this time has Debocked the space program as of right now. After the space shuttle program has ended the Space plane was suppost to have taken its place. But that has been cutt> buy the current Presidential powers that be.

Russia is still useing its old soyuz rocket that they have had for years.

Untill the enviroment changes its frozen untill then or after the election.

if it works, you shouldnt change it....

Apparently our Armed Forces and Congress are not in sync w/ priorities. Army came back and stated that we have too many tanks covered in dust, don't need any more, etc. Congress disagreed, stating that if they stopped producing tanks that it would affect some 6000 jobs in all these little shops that produce parts, etc.. So we spend on military, in the name of freedom but in guise of capitalism. Our funding for space keeps getting cut or downsized in favor of not touching military budgets.

Perhaps you convince Congress to see NASA as a capitalism opportunity instead of a cost center for R&D, and maybe it could go somewhere. I think this is where Russia's space tourism concept could breach it, but I'm sure there are so many insurance related risks that nobody would try.

and its actually the space program that gives more to mankind and the us economy.

necessity is the mother of invention

every space launch needs new things smaller lightweight parts that have to be future proof to justify sending it up to the iss. everytime they make progress with a new invention or material or gps system the research gets farmed out to us companies who farm out parts to more companies who keep the communities afloat and all get the benefit of the progress in years later when it becomes cheaper and old hat such as gps.

computers were stupid massive machines before nasa turned up. then they said we're going to need a computer to do the navigating. and passed the work out to mit to come up with the guidance program. these breadboards were weaved wire around magnetic cores for ones and zeros and programming was more like sewing than programming. it was a massive leap from heavyweight valves and levers cranking out computations. research started and ibm and many companies got going. now the world is filled with these things. we build planes out of aluminuim instead of wood and girders. anything with aluminuim was regarded as "the same stuff they build space shuttles out of implying it was high tech for the time before it's uses were for napoleon's plates.

the space program being put on hold because of a recession was not a smart move and technology advancement will slow down rapidly because of it.

Come on now.....this is NASA ...who needs spaceshuttles when you can do the same with cheap safe Russian technology?

Obama gets blamed for everything when it was Bush who cancelled the shuttle program and Obama added 2 more missions......Bush did not prepare a follow up....Obama did..and more! Obama's goals are beyond a puny lil shuttle....."we're" going to Mars for gods sake...

Here's Obama's space policy,all of this info is on thousands of websites but still people blame Obama for everything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_policy_of_the_United_States_during_the_Presidency_of_Barack_Obama

Come on now.....this is NASA ...who needs spaceshuttles when you can do the same with cheap safe Russian technology?

Obama gets blamed for everything when it was Bush who cancelled the shuttle program and Obama added 2 more missions......Bush did not prepare a follow up....Obama did..and more! Obama's goals are beyond a puny lil shuttle....."we're" going to Mars for gods sake...

Here's Obama's space policy,all of this info is on thousands of websites but still people blame Obama for everything.

http://en.wikipedia....of_Barack_Obama

Obama's plan for space exploration was already under development. It was called the Constellation program, and it was enacted by Bush during his term. Obama cancelled it (effectively throwing away all the money spent on development) and then later decided to enact his own version. So he essentially set space exploration back a few years. Don't get me wrong, he's been OK with the funding (even if the $6B in funding is going to private companies), I just don't understand the logic behind that particular move. Other than to put his name on the whole thing, anyway. His version also leaves no room for lunar exploration, instead opting to leave that to private companies--even though advances in lunar travel could lead to substantial advances in interplanetary travel.

But regardless, politics aside, the shuttle program was an incredible feat, and the closing of the program is the end of an era. While it's sad to know that we most likely won't see much more in regards to LEO launches (save from private companies), it also makes me hopeful of our future that we are now concentrating on interplanetary missions. We desperately need a self-sustaining colony on a rock separate from ours if we are to survive indefinitely as a species. Currently, all our eggs are in one basket, so to speak.

Obama's plan for space exploration was already under development. It was called the Constellation program, and it was enacted by Bush during his term. Obama cancelled it (effectively throwing away all the money spent on development) and then later decided to enact his own version. So he essentially set space exploration back a few years. Don't get me wrong, he's been OK with the funding (even if the $6B in funding is going to private companies), I just don't understand the logic behind that particular move. Other than to put his name on the whole thing, anyway. His version also leaves no room for lunar exploration, instead opting to leave that to private companies--even though advances in lunar travel could lead to substantial advances in interplanetary travel.

But regardless, politics aside, the shuttle program was an incredible feat, and the closing of the program is the end of an era. While it's sad to know that we most likely won't see much more in regards to LEO launches (save from private companies), it also makes me hopeful of our future that we are now concentrating on interplanetary missions. We desperately need a self-sustaining colony on a rock separate from ours if we are to survive indefinitely as a species. Currently, all our eggs are in one basket, so to speak.

The space explorations shoud only have costed us the resources we need ,maybe we need a new way of government..

They wil spend the money on IRAN (oops i said it) :finger:

Edited by EBE