Spartans Home

A-10C Solo AAR

AJsarge

A-10C

100% Gas

Armament: 4xAGM-65 mavericks, 6xMK-82 500lb bombs, 1xGBU-12 500lb LGBs, 1xGBU-38 500lb JDAMs, 2xAIM-9 sidewinders

1 Wingman equipped the same

Planned events:

Take off from runway

Rendezvous with KC-135 tanker Texaco 11

AR until low fuel

RTB

Actual Events:

Starting at Senaki on the runway, I took a moment to set the dials and switches as I needed. By default, the game doesn't set many switches to on/operate when you start on the runway. Thus, I set them there before getting airborne. End result, I sat on the runway for a minute setting switches before takeoff. Engine runup, everything went smoothly into rollout with the wingman following in formation. As I rotated at the end for takeoff, my left engine catches on fire/explodes/bird strike and promptly becomes useless.

This is where things split...

Attempt 1: T-handle pull, extinguisher discharge, and check for smoke. None. Sweet. I'm sitting at 129kts, so I pull up the gear to lessen drag. Even with that, I'm either losing altitude or slowing down. Seeing it as unable to maintain, I throw the gear out and try to stabilize my descent to put it down in a field just off the end of the runway. I land hard, possibly with the main gear still retracted, and come to a sliding halt still alive.

Attempt 2: Restarting and taking control through the "watch track" option, I know the failure is coming. Right after takeoff: T-handle pull, extinguisher discharge, and check for smoke. None. Sweet. This time, I jettison my bombs/mavericks into an empty field and that gives me just enough lift to hold altitude and still gain speed. After a while I manage to start a slow climb, and I'm starting to think about returning to base. I bring it around, pull up the runway on the nav screen, and do my best to line it up for approach with only one engine (note: I had tried to restart it in the air, but that failed). My AI wingman follows me in all the way, and I have to work to keep him from running me over while landing at the same time. As I'm trying to bleed speed off to drop the flaps and gear, I discover that my speed brakes won't deploy under normal and backup switches. I idle the remaining engine, add pitch, and before I know it the jet turns into a winged brick. I add power, but it's not enough to get my flight path back onto the runway.

Note here: I'm fighting my AI wingman's proximity, asymmetrical trust, lack of speed brakes, single engine worth of power, yaw/roll trim, slow gear (possibly linked with SB and #1 hydro failure), and a bird that simply doesn't want to fly any more.

I hit dirt about 100 yards from the approach end, bounce, hit 50 yards from the end with the engine power coming back in causing me to nearly dip a wing into the ground, bounce again, and stick to the runway with #1 spooling down (I'm going nearly sideways at this point) and a ton of rudder to get me lined up. Pointing straight down the runway on all wheels, I start applying brakes, and stop part way down to roll off onto the taxiway where I shut down and take a breather.

Lessons learned:

- Single engine can support fuel or payload, not both

- Idle engine before T-handle if not swamped with altitude/speed requiring immediate attention

- Learn how to fuel dump if possible to help with weight

- tell the wingman to F off and anchor here before trying to do an emergency landing

- Write an AAR immediately after an event, not 6 hours later, not after you've played another game, and not when you are ready to pass out on the floor at any given moment.