Spartans Home

Oculus Rift - Virtual Reality Headset

MH6~SPARTA~

This thing is massively popular right now, already reaching it's $250k pledge in the first day. Donating $300+ gives you a dev. kit (so the headset) + access to the developer SDK and a copy of a Rift-ready Doom 3.

[YT]dYzlC9eZzyk[/YT]

Oculus Rift Kickstarter

Key Features:

Technical specs of the Dev Kit (subject to change)

Head tracking: 6 degrees of freedom (DOF) ultra low latency

Field of view: 110 degrees diagonal / 90 degrees horizontal

Resolution: 1280x800 (640x800 per eye)

Inputs: DVI/HDMI and USB

Platforms: PC and mobile

Weight: ~0.22 kilograms

I'm not ashamed to admit I dropped $300 on this, though I may still cancel before the Sept. 1st deadline. It'd be a fun toy to mess around with though--I'd love to write something for it.

It's got some heavy backing by the likes of John Carmack (id Software; Doom), Gabe Newell (Valve), and Cliff B. (Epic Games).

Carmack discussed this headset in an E3 interview some time ago, and it's nice to see something becoming of it.

I definitely look forward to seeing how it works in a simulation environment (i.e. Microsoft Flight Simulator or ArmA).

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

I'm tempted to go for the dev preview, I can think of many useful productivity applications as well as entertainment.

But with the number of people pledging for the SDK and hardware, will they really be okay? There's over 3000 pledgers for hardware, I don't know if they have the infrastructure or time to be able to put all those things together. :S Might be shooting themselves in the foot there.

I'm tempted to go for the dev preview, I can think of many useful productivity applications as well as entertainment.

But with the number of people pledging for the SDK and hardware, will they really be okay? There's over 3000 pledgers for hardware, I don't know if they have the infrastructure or time to be able to put all those things together. :S Might be shooting themselves in the foot there.

Yeah I was thinking about that too. At the time there were only about 600 pledges though, so I figured maybe they had a cap at like 1000. Guess not. I'd hope they'd put a cap at something though so it doesn't go over what they could feasibly produce. Suppose we'll find out.

• 8 months later...

I just received my developer kit for the Oculus Rift! Will definitely be trying it out with some flight/racing sims tonight and this weekend.

The kit itself is fucking top-notch quality. Comes in a plastic briefcase with foam padding, has three sets of lenses (for those with 20/20, nearsighted, and extremely nearsighted vision), power adapters for virtually every type of socket (US/Euro/etc) and comes with HDMI/USB/DVI cables.

I'm tempted to buy a Hyrdra controller to add positional tracking like this guy did:

The developer version doesn't have positional tracking (only rotation), but the consumer version will apparently. As well as a higher resolution LCD.

• 4 weeks later...

So MH6, is this you? :)

Haha. I know the feeling. I saw a Rift Youtube video that was from the advantage point of a quadcopter. When it skyrocketed into the air, my stomach dropped. It was crazy.

lol, I want to get one of those when they increase the res to 1920x1080p and get the input lag to lower acceptable levels

The resolution does suck, looking forward to the 1080p version. The input lag is fine though.

• 10 months later...

Facebook buying Oculus Rift for $2bn (inc shares). Good or bad??

Should get product to market quicker & maybe slicker but curious as to what the FB hook is going to be.

Also, any kick back to the original investors, bit of a pisser if there isn't.

It doesn't sound like the facebook acquisition is going to harm things - though I can understand the hesitation associated with something like facebook. Hopefully the additional resources allow them to make improvements that are a greater benefit to the consumer than, say, anything facebook could do to screw things up.

I haven't ordered the Oculus Rift by any means, but depending on how good it is once it actually is released (and if I manage to get a new computer one of these days), I was considering grabbing one. I'm not the kind of guy to early-adopt technology, unless said technology is incredibly useful - and while this seems like it could be great, waiting a bit longer doesn't hurt.