Spartans Home

SSD

Xross

Greetings old friends. I've been giving some serious thought of coming out of retirement for ArmA 3 but my rig is woefully lacking.

So I thought perhaps a refurb in terms of SSDs in lieu of HDDs/MoBo/CPU et al might be the way to go.

Can anyone guide me towards the best solution in terms of SSDs for the best bang for the buck?

If it matters I have an x58 MoBo (Rampage II Extreme), an i7-920@3.4Ghz and a PC Power&Cooling 860W PSU.

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I like my Crucial M4 256GB SSD. Most SSDs you can get for about ~$1 per GB. I started out with an Intel X-25M, but if I were you I'd go with the Crucial M4.

And I'm not the only one apparently, just look at Newegg. Sorted by Best Rating in Internal SSDs, 3 of the top 4 rated SSDs are all Crucial M4 drives of varying sizes. The 256GB M4 is only $224 right now too (so

And trust me when I say this (as someone who owns 4 SSDs):

You may be tempted to get a small drive at first, say 60-80GB or so. I'd recommend you go for 128/256GB instead. You will thank me later. Then again, if you can't afford anything > 80GB, then you obviously have to stay within your monetary limits.

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

I have a 128Gb OCZ drive, it is big enough for me (my kids also have accounts on this PC).

ARMA is the only game I have on it and it looks much much better that on my old HDD.

X-Wind,

I belive the X58 had SATA II interface & the X58A (a later version) had SATA III, all this means if you put in a SATA III SSD you will (it will) run at SATA II speeds (max)

X58s.png

All SATA devices disks, CD, DVD etc are compatible with each interface 1 -> 3, 3 -> 1, 2 -> 1, 2->3 etc.

Only the speed changes....

CHECK IF YOUR BOARD IS X58 or X58A

I like OCZ Vertex drives version 3 or 4 are excellent... but there are many others...

Look for ones with NAND memory support, if your computer switches off all of a sudden, if there is a power cut, glitch, crash, those DRIVE can write the CACHE DATA to SSD memory before loosing all stored POWER.

:)

CHECK IF YOUR BOARD IS X58 or X58A

His board uses the X58 chipset, and only supports Sata II.

That isn't to say he shouldn't get a Sata III SSD, however. He should, just so he can benefit from the extra speed if and when he upgrades his PC.

@ X-Wind:

I have your same config.. X58 chip supporting SATA II, however i got a Samsung SSD 128GB SATA III and i am loving it.

SAT 2 speed is slower and is already WAY faster that what is it was with HDD. I am loving my SSD. Taking advantage of low prices I might get another one for 256GB... Speed is always good :)

My bottleneck is my MB.. but considering one day I will just upgrade to a newer config, then it will be new MB, CPU and RAM...

Pile driver 10 core cpu and ddr3 board sata3 ssd is where im headed. Ya the pile drivers will be 10 core.

Sorry to burst your bubble but AMD canceled Komodo last year along with Seprang and Terramar. The current Vishera roadmap points to 8 cores maximum for desktops. Only the Abu Dahbi in the G34 socket will have more then 10.

Na, i think this will cure that statment 3d quarter this year, no bubbles here my friend

http://www.techspot.com/news/48742-rumor-amd-piledriver-fx-cpu-production-to-begin-q3-2012.html

...which confirms what I was saying. There is no 10 core desktop model, The Vishara FX 8350 is an 8 core model.

Edit: the 10 core desktop model you're thinking of was Komodo which they announced in CES 2011 and then subsequently canceled in favor for Vishera. There was some speculation that the silicon yields would've been too low on 10 cores to make the venture profitable and in the end still can't compete with intel in the high end enthusiast segment. IIRC AMD is now focusing more on energy efficient processors to compete more in mobile computing rather then keep loosing money in the enthusiest market. In fact AMD just announced a fairly large license agreement with ARM.

Edited by warzer0

If your going to that bother mate I would just do a clean instal, on a ssd it is sooo fast to do.

Many thanks to all for the invaluable info. X58 running at SATA II speeds is rather significant (thx Vii). My rig is getting a bit long in the tooth and this is just the reason (excuse ;-) I needed for an upgrade. Vertex (OCZ) seems to have the drive(s) of choice (thx Zeno et al) so let the upgrade festivities begin.

Thanks again all for taking the time to set me straight on which route to take.

Much appreciated!