Spartans Home

DayZ server problems

Gunthar~SPARTA~

Ok after the past few days playing on this server with that noob Skaz I have to say that my original issues with this mod have been resolved and my opinion has changed and I am on the band wagon.

That being said I have noticed quite a few issues in relation to personal interactions on TS with regards to those who have been playing with us for many years on a consistent basis.I have been on TS3 off and on for the past few days and have heard nothing but people fighting about various crap on comms while the rest of us are attempting to enjoy the game. Most of this is pointless and could be handled in a much more "professional" manner without all the drama and personal attacks and in a separate channel.

I will admit that I do talk smack normally directed toward those of us with whom I play many games and have an established relationship however the interactions I have witnessed over the past few days are unacceptable to me and it has taken quite a bit of effort to prevent me from kicking the individuals from teamspeak. I, like many others, work full time and have a family and use Arma and other games as a valve to decompress through mindlessly killing zombies, and like those other people I do not come onto comms to listen to 5 people bitch at one another about someone running or someone facing the wrong direction. If I wanted to listen to someone bitch for 10 minutes straight I would hang out with my wife not you guys.

This crap has to stop and I am placing my faith in the moderators of our TS server to lay down the hammer on these childish people and create an environment that is not personally hostile to our long standing friends and members.If this environment continues I think we will find many of our friends and members will once again leave our folds to pursue other endeavors feeling alienated and "picked on".

On another note, DayZ is an open world MMO style game not a tac dom mission. Some people need to learn this fact and not expect tacdom comms discipline on the TS server, if this is something that interests you then you need to establish a specific channel in TS3 for tactical comms for your group. That being said if your raiding a city the pointless chatter about things not associated with raiding that city needs to move to a separate channel. Regardless of this the tone and format of any request on TS should be directed in a "professional" manner not yelling out STFU, granted last night I said this but it was after listening to 3 people bitch at one another for over a minute.

Finally I heard someone state that if someone kept getting on to them that they would "Ice them on the spot". If you are a guest or friend playing on the Legion of Sparta server and utilizing our TS3 server and you intentionally kill a friendly you should be immediately banned from our servers and declared hostile to all members and friends. Intentional team killing due to a disagreement should not be allowed with the exception of Frenchy because he deserves it.

Sorry to make this so long but I talked my buddy into playing with us and he told me that he spent half the night listening to people bitch at one another and emo rage because they died.After last night's episodes I decided someone should speak up and stop this crap now before it gets out of control.

wow sounds like I'm missing out in all the fun....cheers to that Gunthar, well put. Being a guest to this community I show the respect that's needed and hope you guys continue demanding respect from all the members and guest here...what keeps me coming back.

Great post Gunthar, I think you wrote how all of us longer term players feel about this situation. It's unfortunate that we even have to discuss it, the first description of a SPARTA community member is that they are a mature player. Last night, four individuals that blew up at each other on TS were frankly acting like children. I could almost hear everyone cringing behind the mic as it was happening.

There is definitely a balance that needs to be found, where new players can hop in TS and feel welcome and comfortable - but still maintain a personal level of professionalism when interacting with everyone. Blow ups will happen from time to time, and I think its important that people are smart enough to back away from the situation rather then escalate it on TS, thereby ruining everyone else's experience.

However, there was a lot more happening then just that bigger blow up that really turned me off to the TS experience. The back and forth that usually exists has taken a much darker turn in the last few days. Players are openly cursing at each other, threatening others, and overall being bullies. To me that is unacceptable at any level, and unfortunately I witnessed it from members that have played here for some time. If I hear players openly say "F*ck you" on TS with the intent of being abusive that is also unacceptable.

To me this extends to in game chat as well. I can't kick people from the server for being mean to each other (DayZ server rules) , but we can remove them from TS. This also goes for in game chat to people just playing on the server. On multiple occasions I saw racial slurs, curse words, and bullying that I would expect from an XBOX COD match not in SPARTA.

So I hate spending too much time talking about the problem, I would rather figure out solutions.

Obviously, I think an expectation needs to be set from here on out. I'm not sure if there is a MOTD of the day feature whenever you join specific channel - but if there is one than I think something should pop up on the DayZ channels that explicitly states:

"SPARTA is a mature gaming community. You will be expected to treat every player with respect while using TS. Abusiveness, Bullying, Swearing at players, or Shouting will not be tolerated."

JediBob had a good idea to organize the channels into a 'main' channel and into smaller fire teams. This is similar to how we split up TacDom communications. This should alleviate issues of too much talking while silence is needed.

The general chit-chat needs to be toned down. I always notice how two or three people are responsible for 90% of the talking. I vote for a "Karl Rule" - here is a guy who everyone respects, who doesn't need to shout, who is always kind - but I heard maybe twice last night in the course of 4 hours because of the constant stream of talking.

Lastly, I think the only moderator on last night was Tyler. I believe Kal restored my TS mod status (I had it on the previous TS server but it never transferred over or something) so based on what happened last night action would have been taking. Even if it was just separating the individuals.

I am truly disheartened that we even need to have threads like this.

I'm going to pick out a few statements to address...

I am placing my faith in the moderators of our TS server to lay down the hammer on these childish people and create an environment that is not personally hostile to our long standing friends and members

Every member of the community, whether they be a tagged Spartan or not, is charged with this responsibility. It takes every single one of us to keep this a place where people -want- to be. The admins and moderators are only there to deal with those individuals that need "special" attention.

then you need to establish a specific channel in TS3 for tactical comms for your group

JediBob had a good idea to organize the channels into a 'main' channel and into smaller fire teams.

Our TS currently has 53 permanent channels, 15 of which are in the "Arma 2" section. If you need to split up groups, do it. You don't need a specific channel labeled for the exact activity you're engaged in. The TacDom channels are still there, by all means use them.

Regardless of this the tone and format of any request on TS should be directed in a "professional" manner not yelling out STFU, granted last night I said this but it was after listening to 3 people bitch at one another for over a minute.

If you want people to act professionally, then you must exhibit that yourself. People will respond to you in the manner in which you addressed them. Just keep in mind that they may be in the heat of the moment. If they're heated and stressed out, let them cool off before trying to have a talk with them.

On multiple occasions I saw racial slurs, curse words, and bullying that I would expect from an XBOX COD match not in SPARTA.

SPARTA reserves the right to Perm Ban any person whom Uses racial or religious intolerance on our forums or TS and that any such abuse would incur sanctions up to and including a permanent ban from all of our services

SPARTA SENATE

Racial slurs will absolutely not be tolerated here. First offense, kick them out and make it clear to the individual and everyone present we do not allow that. Second offense, they get banned. It's that simple.

Cursing is going to happen. If someone starts getting carried away, its perfectly ok to tell them to chill out. If they persist, you can ask them to leave the channel on their own accord. If they're just not getting it and their behavior continues, then kick them.

TLDR Version -

If you were given an "ability" or "power" in TeamSpeak, do not be afraid to use it. You would not have it if we didn't want you to use it when appropriate. Just use your best judgement.

- JHunter

If you want people to act professionally, then you must exhibit that yourself. People will respond to you in the manner in which you addressed them. Just keep in mind that they may be in the heat of the moment. If they're heated and stressed out, let them cool off before trying to have a talk with them.

They were asked multiple times by different people to calm down and be quiet all while completely ignoring them so I spoke up told them to shut the hell up and chill out then it was over. Until then I had kept quiet hoping they would stop.

I wasn't directing that directly at you, Gunthar. That was a general, blanket statement.

Nor do I fault you for reinforcing the request for them to quiet down. For some people, yelling and cursing at them is the only thing they respond to. I'm sure we all know people like that.

That that being said, however, I'd like to point out that in the same thread here we're complaining about people cussing, yelling at each other, and generally "bitching" in channel. We don't have a foot to stand on if we are also behaving in the same way; even if we are "justified" in our actions.

That's just my two cents, take it for what it's worth.

- JHunter

Dont forget that most of the players that "joined" Sparta because of DAYZ probably dont read the forums and have never been here during ARMA2 peak...hell most of them probably didnt even own ARMA2 before Dayz.....they dont know anything about LOSC.....

Also removing people from your channel constantly is very rude,i suggest something like this:

With everyone in the Dayz main channel when a party is formed the party leader will make it clear to everyone in the channel what will happen and who is coming with,its members will then move to a different channel...instead of removing others constantly...imho removing people from channels left and right feels hostile....but whatever.

When people connect to TS join the Dayz main lobby and not the separate party channels,in the main lobby you can wait until a party returns to base and reconnects to the main lobby...or of course form a new gang with who ever is there already.

Edited by EL_n00biachi

Dont forget that most of the players that "joined" Sparta because of DAYZ probably dont read the forums and have never been here during ARMA2 peak...hell most of them probably didnt even own ARMA2 before Dayz.....they dont know anything about LOSC.....

Also removing people from your channel constantly is very rude,i suggest something like this:

With everyone in the Dayz main channel when a party is formed the party leader will make it clear to everyone in the channel what will happen and who is coming with,its members will then move to a different channel...instead of removing others constantly...imho removing people from channels left and right feels hostile....but whatever.

When people connect to TS join the Dayz main lobby and not the separate party channels,in the main lobby you can wait until a party returns to base and reconnects to the main lobby...or of course form a new gang with who ever is there already.

For some reason I just imagined that noob was typing this out with a beer in his hand, smoking a cig, completely naked. Is that wrong?

The one night I'm gone, all hell breaks loose? I'll be on tonight, hopefully...

When/If I get on tonight, I will have a talk with everyone in the channel. Respect for one-another is very important to me and I believe we just need to come up with a compromise for the people who want to "shoot the shit" and the "tac-com" guys. I will also remind everyone of the rules regarding racial slurs/language, along with other things.

Edited by EMT~SPARTA~

We have more serious problems. Today, at the airfield, I saw two guys in the Air traffic control tower. I shot at them the shots hit, registered the splash in their heads, they went prone, and 5 seconds later, the arti striked the whole airfield, leveled everything. Coolbreeze was one of them. The other I did not get a tag.

We have more serious problems. Today, at the airfield, I saw two guys in the Air traffic control tower. I shot at them the shots hit, registered the splash in their heads, they went prone, and 5 seconds later, the arti striked the whole airfield, leveled everything. Coolbreeze was one of them. The other I did not get a tag.

DayZ rules or not they need to be banned ASAP!

Sup guys,

Sucks, but this may very well be my last communication with the spartans.

After spending better part of 3 years gaming with various members of your gaming community over different games, i never thought id see what is happening on the sparta dayz server. I tend to keep my nose out of the inner workings, but lately its a bit much to overlook.

The "ill ice you on sight" warning was a private message I sent to the player who YELLED AT ME on coms for advising his partner to keep low and I copied the TEXT message to the admin at the time (skaz) who replies with "wtf im admin i don't care I'm here to have fun"... I may be wrong but if there was something wrong with that message, the time to say something would've been then and there, not to pass it along to the guy who brought the players in.

Same thing with the racism that has been spammed across your server by someone strangely accepted (its unbeknownst to me why exactly, other than he duplicates items and is a now widely known cheater). I say strangely because he is the only one that is spamming racism, he is the only one trolling the sidechat and giving away team position by letting off full clips of DMR cause he "just wanted to scare you" (right gunthar?).

This persistent and pervasive ignoring of the wrong doings in game, refusal to discipline the constant racist and rude TS3 abuse and side chat banter (which we lose in beta THANK GOD!), and the "lets bring any old moron into the main base camp" mentality is very evident. The end result is, unintelligible TS channels, lowered quality of game play if not completely unplayable, and a widespread understanding you and your gaming community supports cheaters, racists, and shitty survival tacticians.

What happened to the strict no racism policy, strict TS control, strict control of well the server with YOUR NAME ON IT PERIOD? Id like to see ANY of this shit fly in the old school spartan arma channels, i laugh because IT WOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED. I have heard it from many vet spartan officials, and i 150% agree its time to drop the hammer on YOUR server, its time to regulate. Otherwise you are just another name on the list of servers, there is nothing that makes you special or sets you apart.

To those Sparta members that do enhance many different game's gameplay for the better, my hat is off to you, you are the reason this group caught my interest, you are the TRUE spartans on this site.

My apologies if this ruffled any feathers, just trying to set the record straight from my end, so if you'll excuse the long note, ill be on my way.

I just want to make a quick few points as an honest observer.

The TS channel can be governed according to Sparta rules. The Server cannot be as it is tied to the DayZ rules. The individuals on TS that were causing issues have been spoken too, and there was a noticeable improvement since. I spoke with EMT yesterday and we will also start removing people from TS if they are causing issues in chat. We can't kick them from the game but we can disassociate them from us. This has already happened.

The specific person you mentioned about duping and side chat abuse is not associated or supported by Sparta. He has already been warned and will be banned if it happens again.

Edited by Phisher~SPARTA~

Everything seemed fine and dandy yesterday when I left. Play styles were seperated and people seemed happy! What ever happend the other day is over and is now behind us. Everyone is happy with one another and TS is much better. Me and Phisher spoke to one another regarding implementing the rules and have already noticed a big change. People know the rules and they will be enforced.

I strongly recommend you continue to play and if you feel the TS is not up to par, send us a message and the problem will be addressed. We constantly learn how to deal with different situations and will always rebound from any bumps in the road.

My apologies then on the private message issue then. I thought i had directed that message to private to the kid who seriously lost it on me for advising his buddy to keep from sprinting mid city... it was more of a warning than a threat.

The jury is still out on the other changes, i have yet to notice..

The way i see ..

(Who is to say if we're wrong or wright those empowered by what ? ..)

, its it simply in our nature to screw up on occasion !

These things happen and we must go on (forgive), and (m) YES with the same people !

, or else ; we can (must) destroy in order to rebuild ,(wake up we might as well..)

greetz.

( People only listen ,When they have to suffer themselves.. )

Edited by EBE

My apologies then on the private message issue then. I thought i had directed that message to private to the kid who seriously lost it on me for advising his buddy to keep from sprinting mid city... it was more of a warning than a threat.

The jury is still out on the other changes, i have yet to notice..

No worries mate.

In my experience it takes a bit of time to weed out those that are truly trouble makers and putting on a good face, or those who legitimately have an understanding of the rules and modify their behavior to act in accordance with them.

Last night ran much smoother with the split comms. So I think we will try to keep with that. Unfortunately certain play styles will clash at times but we can't legislate those.

I often wish we could run comms like we used to on Tac Dom days, but those were unique because everyone knew they were "on the line" in a sense. Even then not one of them passed without some issues.

On a broader note, DayZ requires so much of the player, an investment of time, trust with other people, clear and concise communication, and luck. All of it can be dashed away by one mistake. So tension, frustration, elation, and banter all seem to be running at peak levels. A few days ago when we hopped in our own TS channel and searched for vehicles as a two man team, I had a lot of fun - it was a break from the madness. I think it's important to mix that in whenever possible.

Edited by Phisher~SPARTA~

One of the reason why I don't get on Sparta TS when I play DayZ. I want to have fun and play with my well established Arma II and Spartan friends. I have enough drama at work and in life, I come online to relax and have a good time.

Ok after the past few days playing on this server with that noob Skaz I have to say that my original issues with this mod have been resolved and my opinion has changed and I am on the band wagon.

That being said I have noticed quite a few issues in relation to personal interactions on TS with regards to those who have been playing with us for many years on a consistent basis.I have been on TS3 off and on for the past few days and have heard nothing but people fighting about various crap on comms while the rest of us are attempting to enjoy the game. Most of this is pointless and could be handled in a much more "professional" manner without all the drama and personal attacks and in a separate channel.

I will admit that I do talk smack normally directed toward those of us with whom I play many games and have an established relationship however the interactions I have witnessed over the past few days are unacceptable to me and it has taken quite a bit of effort to prevent me from kicking the individuals from teamspeak. I, like many others, work full time and have a family and use Arma and other games as a valve to decompress through mindlessly killing zombies, and like those other people I do not come onto comms to listen to 5 people bitch at one another about someone running or someone facing the wrong direction. If I wanted to listen to someone bitch for 10 minutes straight I would hang out with my wife not you guys.

This crap has to stop and I am placing my faith in the moderators of our TS server to lay down the hammer on these childish people and create an environment that is not personally hostile to our long standing friends and members.If this environment continues I think we will find many of our friends and members will once again leave our folds to pursue other endeavors feeling alienated and "picked on".

On another note, DayZ is an open world MMO style game not a tac dom mission. Some people need to learn this fact and not expect tacdom comms discipline on the TS server, if this is something that interests you then you need to establish a specific channel in TS3 for tactical comms for your group. That being said if your raiding a city the pointless chatter about things not associated with raiding that city needs to move to a separate channel. Regardless of this the tone and format of any request on TS should be directed in a "professional" manner not yelling out STFU, granted last night I said this but it was after listening to 3 people bitch at one another for over a minute.

Finally I heard someone state that if someone kept getting on to them that they would "Ice them on the spot". If you are a guest or friend playing on the Legion of Sparta server and utilizing our TS3 server and you intentionally kill a friendly you should be immediately banned from our servers and declared hostile to all members and friends. Intentional team killing due to a disagreement should not be allowed with the exception of Frenchy because he deserves it.

Sorry to make this so long but I talked my buddy into playing with us and he told me that he spent half the night listening to people bitch at one another and emo rage because they died.After last night's episodes I decided someone should speak up and stop this crap now before it gets out of control.

The thing about DayZ, is a player needs to do without, just like in the end of world scenario. A player doesn't need everything to feel complete and when he dies with it all, it makes that player angry and rages. I don't get caught up with trying to get it all, I just get basics and survive. If I die, I am upset and I move on. I know I can get all my gear and stuff back in a hour.

Remember, "Its just a game!"

Have fun!

Edited by Raven_2012

May I suggest to those invovled to :

( a ) Let's start over and try not to bash heads with those that we have strife with.

( b ) let us try and get along we now have aired our problems and know what causes greif

( c ) Respect works both ways so if you catch yourself talking smack in the heat of the moment back off it should settle down.

We would not act like boneheads in the Supermarket.

Good luck and don't forget our servers usally run smooth, it is up to each of us how it runs.

• 2 weeks later...

This post isn't quite related to everything you've posted so far, but the thread IS called Server problems, so...

I've been having some trouble on your server the last couple of nights.

I can spawn in, do some stuff, then try to get to a new location. I'll run up to as far as 2 km, then all of a sudden I get ported back to where I was before I started the long run. Desync is at 0.

Any takers?

That's really odd Shinobi,

We played for a couple hours yesterday and it seemed to be working like usual. What time do you usually play?

Where do you teleport back to? There is a bug where people are spawning in a debug zone (literally several kilometers off that map). When the relog they always spawn back at the debug zone. The only fix I know of so far is to hit respawn and start a new character. Though this is supposed to be fixed in the next patch if you don't mind waiting.