Spartans Home

Ground Branch - don't miss an opportunity!

Lightspeed~SPARTA~

Guys I know we all love a realistic FPS and over the years we have watched a lot of good games turn to shit and move further and further away from realistic.

But here is an opportunity that should not be passed up, it really shouldn't.

I would say this will be your only chance to see a Developer create a game that takes into account all that is real and builds a truly realistic experience from the ground up. This won't happen again is my strong belief and if you ever wanted to assist a Dev to see this become a reality then now is your chance.

The Dev is serious - he's aleady put 5 years in and stuck by the vision of what this game will be and aside from a few donations he has funded the entire thing himself.

For you, all that is being asked is to show your support to see this thing through by pledging some money towards it, for a few bucks you could make the difference between this happening or not. And the thing is, at the end of the day, you/we are the ones who will benefit. Your pledge can even buy you gr8 rewards and first releases of the game when it is built.

It's low risk - everythings a risk to some degree. Even when you buy a game off the shelf there is a risk that it will be a piece of shit.

I strongly urge you to take a look and if you think the potential is there then support it. I'm certain that if this game is built that there will be no regrets from anyone who took a chance right now.

Have a look at what has been built now out of John's own pocket, it is impressive becoz he's done it all himself essentially. But he needs us to help him bring it home.

As serious tactical gamers, I think we owe it to support a Dev like this for everyones sake.

Check it out please -

And tell you're other tactical gaming mates about it too.

Edited by Lightspeed~SPARTA~

If I wasn't stupidly tight on money right now I would love to help out. The game has potential and I would give them some money if I could. Unfortunately right now is not the best time for me to put out some money for this :( I do hope all the best for them to make the game. I will probably be getting it when it comes out though if I can afford it =P

If ppl don't pledge they won't - if they do it might get up.

Here's the benefit of Kickstarter - if you pledge but they don't reach the target then you don't get charged.

It's only if the 425,000 is passed that you will be billed.

So its a win-win.

Pledge already and let's see this get up guys. Even if you can only manage $15, every bit helps.

I do apologize, I am not gonna pledge a dime for this.

And my avversity is not specifically for this game or the Dev. I don t even take in exam how serious the Dev can be.

Unfortunately i got to the conclusion that the entire Kickstarter affair is close to a scam than anythng else. when we are talking about Gaming Industry, believing that anything can come out of a Kickstarter project is simply Naive.

I do appreciate your good heart guys, i love the fact you are good ppl and you "believe" .. unfortunately I am a dirty Italian, raised among the mistification and the lies, not believing anymore that the world is rounded, actually :) My cinism reached epic levels, therefore i have no trust whatsoever in people whose last resource to do something is begging online for money.

Let' put together some "Myth" concepts and let's what are they.

1 - "No risk, if they dont get funded your money is not chashed", true, however you shoould look a bit further of your nose and understand that if they GET funded there is no contract or liability they will deliver ANYTHING. They can disappear tomorrow with200, 300, 400 whatever hundred thousand dollars. Is not the 15 bucks I put in that concerns me, is the offense to my intelligence that bothers me.

2 - Whatever goal they set. Not directly related to this project, but we can take this as just an example. If they make it, actually they are at 30k with about 450 backers. Possibly to get up to 450k they would end up say, 2500 backers. Ok, i wanna give it big 5000 backers. Perfect. So that means there are 5000 people who believe in this. This is a ridicoulous Drop in the Ocean. You do understand that a succesful game has to sell Hundreds of Thoousands of copies? Millions of copies... then you can call that business

... You get 5000 "believers", you produce your game and sell it to other 10.000 buyers, your business is a FAILURE.

3 - Why their business would be an epic failure also in case they produce the game? because you are not able to keep a Software house alive with a product that will sell few tens of thousands copies... Why so few copies?? because it is made for a minority! Gamers like US, who like the "realism" in a game are a small minority. They said "this game comes with all the godiess out of the box, no crap such as Unlocks and XP points" I LOVE IT!!! Me and other 5000 people, the other 3 billions gamers are going nuts with BF3, CoD, Bad company and whatever else... Don t you think that should concern a producer?

4 - Why a Dev needs to get into Kickstart to have this thing rolling? can t find any Investor like in the every day Business "the Real Business" that can believe in his idea and funded, like everyone else would do ?? Hmm.. probably go back and read point 3...

There would be several other reasoons to put together.. i am just getting bored writing this one, because I know I am hurting your feelings and because most probably many of you already gave up reading this shit after the 10th line...

However, i love you all guys, I am proud to be your friend because you have a big heart, i just freaking hate bullshits like Kickstarter that take advantage of good-hearted people :)

I love you too Batwing and I appreciate you taking the cynical approach.

But a couple of things....

Lots of the COD players and others like to play Hardcore mode...is it possible they would switch over after they saw a true hardcore mode? I would say yes.

There is a risk that the Dev may not come through but what if a Dev could produce the best game ever if you just put a bit of faith in them? Rather then asking one big investor to wear all the risk, he asks the ppl who actually want the game to share the risk (miniscule risk for each person).

Without going into Risk Management discussion, just because the big investors have said the risk is too great to wear it all, does not mean the risk is too great for anyone to invest. Your personal risk would be insignificant in comparison if the game never makes it. $50 or $100 lost versus half a million. It is still imo a risk that is definitely worth taking because the reward far outweighs the potential loss.

If the game is a success then more players will come and more money to invest further into the game without spending millions on movie effects but focusing on core gameplay.

I tell you why this isn't a scam - is because John Sonedecker has been grinding away at this for years and has not given up. He is just looking for a better way. Take a look at the core mechanics so far, his investment so far in UE3 and the Tree creator tool, bringing the sound guy on board to start work. It's all there but he just needs some believers to pay upfront rather then at the end and I don't think thats an unreasonable request.

4 - Why a Dev needs to get into Kickstart to have this thing rolling? can t find any Investor like in the every day Business "the Real Business" that can believe in his idea and funded, like everyone else would do ?? Hmm.. probably go back and read point 3...

I can answer that fairly easily actually. Investors nowadays want very very very fast returns on their investments (think months or even weeks instead of the years it used to take for an investment to mature). Nowadays most of them are flocking towards the mobile app market and gambling with a large pool of small investments and quick turn around on whether the investment is profitable or not. Why gamble one a few big eggs when you can have 10,000 little eggs and who cares if half of them break?

Hell, I'd be willing to bet that you won't find any investors that be willing to foot the upfront cost for developing a new 'big title' game anymore. If you haven't noticed all the upcoming games nowadays are franchises:

Halo 4

Assassin's creed 3

Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Tomb Raider (March 5th 2013 release)

God of War: Ascension

Resident Evil 6

New Super Mario Bros. 2

The Amazing Spider-Man

Crysis 3

Guild Wars 2

Far Cry 3

StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm

Medal of Honor Warfighter

Borderlands 2

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance

DmC: Devil May Cry (Yes, with Dante)

Gears of War: Judgment

WWE'13

Hitman: Absolution

Darksiders II

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

BioShock Infinite

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Games that are not sequels:

The Last Story

Gravity Rush

Lollipop Chainsaw

Do you see the disparity? XD

Edited by warzer0

Always liked the cut of Groundbranch's jib and was disappointed when it appeared to fold, so this is good news.

However, I have already dipped my toe in Kickstarter waters with Serrallen's Take Down and will use this as my marker for the worth of Kickstarter as a legitimate fundraising tool. So until Take Down comes good, I can't afford to consider giving more of my scarce resource to another Dev.

one major difference unfortunately Watchman -

Serellan has built nothing for Takedown yet, it's all conceptual at this stage.

BFS has got the engine and ingame functionality as you can see in the promo vids - he just needs to finish off.

I appreciate that BFS are way more advanced and if I could move my donation between Kickstarter pots, then I probably would but as that's not possible it's irrelevant.

Real life issues mean my finances are limited and there are more important issues for, not least of which is trying to find cash for a pre- ARMA3 upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

for those who still don't believe this team is committed -

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/670743543/ground-branch/posts/251162

these guys aren't playing games here so don't waste this chance for some small doubts in your mind about whether this game will get up. pledge a few dollars and let's get a new tac shooter!

• 2 weeks later...

well it seems I upset a few ppl at GB trying to tell them why there venture was failing...oops.

lol

but it looks like GB has only managed to gain 1700 pledges for $100,000 total - still $325K short of the target.

maybe another 5 years for GB? maybe the end for BFS?

well we have Arma3 so not to worry.